Monday, May 23, 2011

Terre Haute is #1 in the State

My second stop on the CMN-Walmart tour was downstate in Terre Haute. I was very excited to visit because I had never been there before. The employees were very welcoming. I entered the store through a human tunnel and there were red Riley balloons everywhere. Mayor Duke Bennett was onhand to show his support for Riley Hospital and to congradulate Walmart #1310 for being the top fundraising store in Indiana. Store Manager Gary Francis then revealed the banner that will hang in their store showing that his team of associates are a gold level team for raising over $31,000 last year for Riley Hospital for Children & Childrens Miracle Network. He encouraged everyone to stay motivated so they could raise even more this year. Rod Henry, the President of the Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce, made me an honorary citizen. And to my surprise, they had a cake made with my picture on it!!! I was then presented with a Walmart gift card which I used to shop for the kids at Riley. I bought them books, DVDs, art supplies, toys, legos, and coloring books.

We spoke to so many Riley families at this event. It seemed like each individual had a Riley story to share. And I think that is what makes this store such a fundraising success story. You have this small town, close-knit community, who like the rest of us, is being effected by tough economic times, but everyone has a personal connection to Riley and that seems to be their driving force to give. They are dedicated to this fundraising event because it hits so close to home. And they are determined to beat out all the other stores in the state, overpowering even the bigger, metropolitan area Walmarts. Gary Francis' team at #1310 has a competitive edge and a compassionate spirit. Thanks for your continued support and loyalty to Riley Hospital for Children.

No comments:

Post a Comment